Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Dairy Free Breakfast Casserole

So I never claimed to be a photographer... for the record.
Good thing looks aren't everything ;)

The other night I made this for dinner and it was really delicious. Common folk think that breakfast casserole has to be smothered in cheese and loaded with cream and bread but we over here aren't your everyday common folk.

So I took a package of ground sausage out of the freezer. Jimmy Deans, baby. I do not think Jimmy Deans is "healthy", but I do think it was in my freezer and when things are tight you somethings have to make use of what you've got. So, that's what I did. 

So I put the frozen hunk of goodness and stuck it in my crockpot with about an inch of water and cooked it on low for the day. You can't get much easier than that.

At around 4:30 I chopped up 3 leftover baked potatoes into hefty chunks. I put them into my 9x13 favorite pan in the world (stoneware pan). Then I drained the cooked sausage and poured it evenly over the potatoes. Then I cracked 10 eggs into a bowl and whipped them with 1/2 cup of water and a little pepper. I figured Jimmy Dean took care of the salt for me! I poured the egg mixture on top of the sausage and baked at 350 for about 30 minutes? Basically until the eggs are cooked... I actually do not remember if it was a half hour or maybe an hour?? Maybe in between the two somewhere. Just watch it. 

So this was gluten free and dairy free.
It was really good and really simple.

We had veggies on the side. You could add veggies and cook them in it but I knew my kids little girl would prefer it without the broccoli cooked in. So, improvise. Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this! I made it for a family from church who had a new baby. Mommy is off dairy while nursing, and I was having trouble finding a cheese-free casserole for them. This fit the bill. I used 3 cups frozen country style hashbrowns instead of the baked potato. I browned the sausage in a pan first, drained it, and used the drippings to soften up and thaw the potatoes. I threw some green pepper in the pan with the potatoes too. When it was done I mixed the sausage in, added some sliced mushrooms, turned it into the baking dish, and poured the egg mixture over. Baked at 350 for 30 minutes, but the edges were cooking faster than the center, so I covered with foil and baked an additional 15 minutes. Came out great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow!! This was a real hit in our house. I have a son with a dairy allergy so am always looking for recipes that really work without the dairy. This was delicious and did not taste like it was a recipe that should have had cheese. It stood well on it's own without it. I did the same as unwrappingmom and used frozen hashbrowns (an entire 28 oz bag of Alexia hashbrowns with onion, garlic, and white pepper) and green peppers. I used 1 dozen eggs with a dash of pepper. This was actually even better on the second day. I'm thinking of trying a variation sometime with canned green chilis added for a Mexican twist. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete