Monday, January 16, 2012

Guiltless chocolate cake



One of my babes is turning 2 on Wednesday. We celebrated on Sunday with friends and family. The cake was a huge hit. At first my brother didn't want any. He knows me well enough that he expected the cake to be filled with spinach. After his girlfriend and everyone around him convinced him it was delicious he tried it. Well, apparently the piece I cut him wasn't big enough. He came back for another slice, which he sliced himself. Nice and big!

Here is my thing about cake. First off, make them from scratch. Most mixes that come in a box are packed with garbage.
Second, use good, healthy ingredients.
Third cake is a treat in itself. Adding ice cream to it is just adding more unnecessary sugars to your diet. We like ice cream around here too, but you don't need to splurge and have both in one night. One is very satisfying and then next time, you can have the other on the next special occasion.

So what is so good about the cake?
Gluten free
Protein packed
No sugar (but there is raw, local, honey)


Here is the Recipe that I adapted from one my mom shared with me a while back.
Whip this up and tell me how you like it. You won't be disappointed!

Preheat oven to 300

In a large mixing bowl combine:
4 cups almond meal (also known as almond meal) (I buy it at Trader Joes, but Bobs Red Mill sells it too but it's way more expensive from them)
1 cup honey
2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. Sea salt
4 TBS. softened butter
1/2 cup coconut milk (unsweetened)
1/2 cup homemade yogurt ( I didn't have homemade so I used plain, Greek yogurt)
4 lg eggs
2 tsp. vanilla

Pour into 9 x 13 pan and bake for 40 minutes.

For the frosting I did use powdered sugar. It's the typical butter and powdered sugar frosting recipe but I used rice milk instead of milk.

*Oh, and if you are wondering why it's a Scooby-Do cake it's because Emmett got some Scooby-Do DVD's for Christmas and he really likes them. Also, he says Dooby-Doo and it's really cute and we all are constantly asking him to say it. :)

Oh and this isn't a decorating tutorial by any means but after I drew on Scooby, we took cookie crumbs that we blended super fine to fill in the brown on the dog. Just fyi ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment