Saturday, November 26, 2011

Food Combining


http://www.blogger.com/img/blank.gif

Hopefully you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving and ate lots of good healthy food. I enjoyed a delicious homemade dinner with the company of lots of loved ones.
Turkey, mashed potatoes, gravy, coconut oil carrots, brussel sprouts, green bean and mushroom casserole, homemade cranberries, ceasar salad.

No rolls. No pumpkin pie. (Pumpkin pie is one of my favorite things to eat!!!)

I have read this book 2 times now and I'm really sold on some of the principles. One such principle is: food combining. Basically, which foods to eat together and which foods to NOT eat together.

He says in the book, "The continued use of sweets, even fruit, after protein is the worst of the combinations, and is one of the most destructive to health. This can also be said of most fruit juices combined with protein meals"(Matsen, pg.117).

This is why I didn't have pumpkin pie after dinner. First, I was full. Second, I didn't want to confuse my system that was busily breaking down the protein from the turkey ( I know, I did eat the potatoes (starch) and a small amount of cranberries (sugar) but give me a break, I did the best that I wanted to do...)

Let me review what I know concerning this matter:
The gut of your health determines your overall well being.
Your gut health is maintained by good digestion and elimination.
Carbs are first digested by alkaline juices in your mouth.
Proteins are digested to stomach acid.
When you eat carbs and proteins together your stomach juices neutralize causing digestion to slow down.
When your food is in your gut for long periods of time bad bacteria grow and toxins release.
Eating carbs and proteins together slows digestion and therefore increases toxicity.
Increased toxicity equals decreased health.

And there you have my rationale.
Oh, and for the record I did have pumpkin pie the next morning for breakfast. Because that's the way my system and me like it!
Now you can add this book to your Christmas wish list.... I highly recommend it!

No comments:

Post a Comment