Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Today's healthy recipes!

Today is mighty chilly outside.
It is a perfect stay-at-home-and-bake-day!
My house was hoppin' with kids this morning. My sisters kids spent last night with us and my girlfriends kids came over this morning. All the kids played together so well which left me with not much to do except, well, create recipes.

Squash Whole Wheat Pancakes:
Left over squash from last night (about 1 cup)
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 Tbs. flax ( my nephew is allergic to eggs so this is what I substituted)
1/2 cup coconut milk
1/4 cup coconut oil
1 Tbs. cinnamon
! Tbs. vanilla
dash salt
1 Tbs. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda

Mix it all together. Add water until you get pancake like consistency (about 1/3 cup)
Cook on a hot skillet! Enjoy! (Lesha your kids loved these!)

*note: I never sweeten my pancakes with sugar/honey... I figure they are going to get smothered in syrup/jam anyways so why add the extra sugar. No one ever notices and I feel better about it. And Emmett, the babe, he doesn't get syrup on his. Just good old pancakes with melted coconut oil for him. He loves it and I love that he is getting all the nutritional benefits of the coconut oil with his breakfast!


Kale chips:
2 bunches of kale. Washed and dried ( I washed it last night in vinegar water and dried it all night on paper towels on my counter)
Turn oven onto 275
Cut out the stem/rib of the kale.
Cut the leafy part into pieces, whatever size you want!
Lay kale pieces on cookie sheet and spritz with olive oil
sprinkle with salt ( I also got crazy with some batches and did wasabi because I like my wasabi!)
bake for 20 minutes.

These are so crunchy and good! They have a strong flavor but the crunch is fantastic. They are packed with nutrients! Braxton liked these. Adelle and Emmett... nope!

Gluten and Dairy Free Pumpkin Muffins:
Beat all ingredients together in mixer
2 eggs
2 cups pumpkin canned
1 1/2 cups almond flour (almond meal is the same thing)
1 Tbs. cinnamon
1 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 tsp. ginger
1/2 cup honey
2/3 cup coconut milk
2/3 cup black beans (not drained, not smashed)
1 Tbs. vanilla
dash salt

Add
chocolate chips ( I did 1/2 cup but you can do as many as you want)
Pour into greased muffin tins 1/2 full (made about 16 muffins)
Bake in 350 oven for 25 minutes
Let cool completely in tins

These came out really dense and custard-like. They were sooo good my kids are at the table begging for more.

I LOVE pumpkin season!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment