Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Tori's favorite Dinner

Have you ever done something seriously crazy. Like, you look back on it and think, "Wow, Did I really do that?"

Well I have, plenty of times really but I will share one such occasion.

Back in March I was going a little crazy. My husband had been out of work for a little while. We were really poor. I was hit or miss as far as emotions went. I was super happy and determined to not let anyone know I was struggling at one moment and then at another moment (inside closed doors) I was emotionally stressed and completely burnt out.

One particular week my husband went out of town for a side job. I was at home, alone, with my three babes. It was busy. I didn't have the husband to give me any relief. One day I decided to serve my friend, Tori. She had had a baby a few weeks back and I wanted to bring her a meal. Like that day I wanted too! Now!

So, in my crazy, stressed state in between juggling kids I started throwing things together. Some black beans, some brown rice, a little chicken....

The next thing I knew I had walked my 3 kids up to her house with the casserole in tow and delivered a meal THAT I HAD NEVER EVEN TRIED AND THAT I COMPLETELY MADE UP ON A WHIM!

This is crazy to me, looking back. BUT.... now she swears it's her favorite thing to eat! I doubt it's really her favorite but it's at least super good. The second time she requested it I actually made it for my family too and I wrote it down and my family loves it as well. So, I guess the story has a good ending.

We all got a good, cheap, healthy meal out of the deal!

Here is the recipe. I will always remember this story and I will always call this dish "Tori's favorite!"

In a 9x13 pan mix up the following
2 cups brown rice ( I use short grain)
2 cups drained black beans
1 12.5 oz. can chicken drained
4 cups water
3 heaping TBS. taco seasoning

Cover with foil and cook at 350 for 55 minutes.

Grate as much cheddar cheese as you like
When the 55 minutes is up sprinkle cheese on top and remove foil (in the reverse order) and bake uncovered 5 more minutes until the cheese melts.

Also, I don't do cheese on half because I don't want the cheese and I prefer for Emmett to not have the cheese yet so you can be creative with that part of it too.
And one more thing, totally you can do this without the can of chicken and you've got yourself a vegetarian meal.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. So I thought taco seasoning was not so great for ya? I want to do this but wondered about it and your the one educated in this arena...so what is your verdict:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Taco seasoning is not super good for you but it's not super bad either. You have to use it moderately. MSG is not good, but they have taco seasoning without it. I get mine at Costco, it's McCormic brand.

    ReplyDelete