Friday, September 16, 2011

Apple Season is here

"An apple a day keeps the doctor away," right. We've all heard that. I'm not sure if it's true but I agree that apples are good for you.
Did you know they could be even better for you if you eat them the right way?
First: eat them local http://www.fitnessgoop.com/2010/08/health-benefits-of-eating-local/
Second: eat them in their peak season http://bodyecology.com/articles/benefits_in_season.php
Third: eat them fresh. This is a no-brainer, I know, but eat them fresh. Applesauce is for when you can't go pick an apple off the tree.
Fourth: Eat them by themselves. Don't eat them with dinner. Don't send them in your child's lunch box. They are better for your digestive system all by themselves. Otherwise they ferment the other food you are eating with them and it can be uncomfortable, not to mention bad for your system.
http://www.ndaccess.com/EatingAlive/Page_Detail.asp?PageID=21&HealthTipID=96

So here is my solution.
Tomorrow is Saturday. Wake up early. Go to the nearest apple tree. Pick a fresh apple. Wash it off good with a little vinegar water to kill any yuckies. Take one big bite after another. Drink some water and then don't eat breakfast for another hour or so. It's amazing. Also, if you have small children like I do this can totally happen. Just distract them in between the apple and the breakfast with playing outside or reading books....
You can do it!

3 comments:

  1. I am so glad you started this blog! I can't wait to see what other goodies I will find here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good idea but what about all my favorite apples desserts?!
    April

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yet another reason for me to be amazed by you! I'm so excited to follow this blog and incorporate your suggestions into our life.

    ReplyDelete