Thursday, October 20, 2011

Quinoa

Ok so it's been a busy week! This whole keeping up two blogs things is for crazy people. Good thing I'm crazy and good thing I have some junk in my trunk to pull out on days like these when ya'll are waiting for a new post.

Quinoa is so yummy and so healthy and hearty. It's become a staple around here and one of Emmett's favorites.

Here are 2 other quinoa recipes that we eat a lot of. Check them out.

Tonight however is my recent favorite. I adapted this recipe from my good friend Sarah who is basically gourmet!

Cook quinoa is organic chicken stock. I also use bouillon sometimes if I don't have chicken stock. Just follow the directions on the package. It's simple and fast. Boil water, add quinoa, put on lid and simmer for like 15 minutes.

While that is doing it's thing roast veggies in the oven.
Chopped up whatever (you can use any or all of these depending on what your family likes, and what you have).
asparagus
garlic
onions
peppers
carrots
cabbage
zucchini
broccoli
snap peas
mushrooms

After the quinoa is done and the chopped veggies are roasted mix them together. Add some marinated artichoke hearts (which I buy at Costco) and you are set with a complete meal. My family likes this served warm but I prefer it cold the next day. Yum! Oh, and sometimes I add sun dried tomatoes too.

And just a bit on quinoa...seriously this stuff is good for you!! Eat it, feed it to your kids!

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?dbid=142&tname=foodspice

"Most commonly considered a grain, quinoa is actually a relative of leafy green vegetables like spinach and Swiss chard. It is a recently rediscovered ancient "grain" once considered "the gold of the Incas."

1 comment:

  1. I loooove quinoa! Do you rinse it first? I usually sauté it with onions and garlic for a few minutes before adding the stock, that way I don't have to rinse it and it gives it kind of a nutty flavor. I also like to make flour with it in the blender to use in turkey loaf/meatballs. I also make quinoa burgers which are so easy and tasty. Sorry haha apparently I really like quinoa ;)

    ReplyDelete